Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

I have always believed that you are put in certain situations for a reason. I also believe that you are taken out of situations for a reason. Thus, I also believe about people being in your life for a reason, season or lifetime. I believe that when we are first put in a new situation that maybe we can't see the reasoning behind it, but eventually God shows us.



I received an e-mail from someone in my past from when I lived in Virginia. It was from a guy that I dated for a long time and it was not a pretty break up. We "found" each other again on Facebook through mutual friends. He is married with a little boy who was born three months after we had Luke. Anyways. We hadn't talked in at least 3 years. I thought that we were way past the break up by that point since we were both married in 2005. I know I was. (reason, season, lifetime kind of thing). We've had very little common conversation on facebook: you have a beautiful family! How's your mom and dad doing? That kind of conversation. But today I got a full message from him. He mentioned to begin with that this was possibly going to be looked at as stupid or silly but to just let him say it. He spoke of how after we broke up (8 years ago) that I had said I always belonged in Florida. He went on to say about how angry and upset that had made him and that he had held on to that for so long. He wanted to let me know that he was working on finding "the plank in his own eye" and that he needed to apologize for holding on to that anger and for being upset about it. I almost fell out of my chair when I read it. But I guess that I also owe him an explanation about what I meant by the fact that "I always belonged in Florida."

I believe that we moved to Virginia for a reason. There was purpose behind meeting all of the wonderful friends that I have from there. There is also purpose behind the relationship that I had with him while I was there. But all in all, none of those things were meant to be a lifetime event. Those were seasons. I met those people, had that relationship, and lived there for only a season and then God said it was time to move on to my lifetime. By saying that "I always belonged in Florida" was not meant to be hurtful...but looking back it was the truth. I have an amazing husband that I found here in Florida. I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy here in Florida. I spent the last 8 years being close to my father here in Florida. I have a home, a great job and a wonderful church family here in Florida.

While yes, I believe that I belonged in Florida, I don't regret being in Virginia. What God has "put us through" or "brought us out of" is what makes us who we are today. So I feel very blessed that I was in that season because if not...I wouldn't be in my lifetime now.

No comments: